Thursday, September 25, 2008

Citizen of the United States of America at last



Monday I became a Naturalized USA citizen. With almost 2000 people becoming citizens, it was the biggest group that Tucson has ever seen before. This commemorated moment was held at the TCC, like a huge graduation. All the people I am sure waiting for this moment, not really knowing how it could change their lives. For me, it started with feeling that it wasn't a big deal. I passed my test, the day of the oath came, and I didn't think much of it, but that it was a mere formality. I didn't realize until I was sitting down there preparing to do my oath of allegiance how much did this event really meant in my life. I realized, that up to this point I really hadn't belong anywhere. I left Bolivia when I was 15, I felt Bolivian of course, I had the legacy of the customs and culture, but I was just a child with not much involvement of care about the community or the country. When I moved here, I yearned for the familiar places but learned to adapt to this new but different world than what I was used to. I didn't feel like I belonged here, and there was probably a deep hidden hope that one day I might go back to Bolivia to stay there. I remember the first time I went back to Bolivia, probably after 5 years of being here. I was so excited, but when I got there it felt so different, not the Bolivia I remember,it had changed,or more importantly I had changed and grown. The point was that I didn't feel like I belonged there either. Becoming a citizen is giving me a place to belong, a place to call home, finally, a place to be proud of and a place to fight for. It is a big deal to me. I feel very thankful and empowered.

1 comment:

melissa said...

Horray! Just in time to VOTE!

Melissa